Microsoft Visual Studio emulator – Best in the business ?
Visual Studio emulator for Android is a great tool for debugging/deploy Android applications in the windows environment. For me personally, this is a much more convenient android emulator comparing with the Google’s own AVD emulators. Microsoft Visual Studio emulator for android uses the Hyper-V capabilities of the host computer, resulting in a faster launch. So it’s like, No more staring endlessly at the Android boot logo.
- First thing, Your computer/development environment must meet the requirements to run Hyper-V
- 6GB or more of RAM
More details on the requirements is here
You can download the installer file from here
- Apart from the speed, Microsoft Visual Studio emulator for Android supports a wide range of device profiles, Including devices from Samsung, Motorola, Sony, LG, and more.
- You can install the APK files by using drag-and-drop method to the emulator screen. It also connects to the ADB, so development tools can target this.
- Powerful simulations – You can try using the camera/map on the emulator
Problems you may face ( . . . or problems I’ve faced )
- Unable to access the Wi-Fi or mobile data – Probably the most annoying ever I’ve encountered, Basically you can’t access any network/internet services from your emulator.
Solution ( . . . or the solution worked for me )
- Disable any virtual Ethernet adapters that aren’t being used.
- Go to Hyper-V manager & set the Emulator Internal Network Adapter’s Virtual switch to Windows Phone Emulator Internal Switch.
- Run the visual studio emulator on administrative mood.
Some more common problems occurred in the emulator can be found here.
Some more useful tips here
Ultimately this is by far the best simulator I’ve used for the mobile automation activities, especially after a couple of bad experiences with the native android simulators. So easily recommended!